The SurroundAir MT-8500 bills itself as 6 proven air cleaning technologies in one machine, designed to deal with virtually every kind of airborne allergen and indoor air pollution.
The 6 technologies used in this advanced ionizing air filter are:
- A true HEPA filter, as recommended by the US Center for Disease Control, to provide effective filtering for allergens like mold toxins, pollen, pet dander, dust mite waste products and many other airborne particles.
- An antibacterial pre-filter to extend the life of the main HEPA filtration layer.
- An activated carbon filter to absorb volatile organic chemicals, cigarette smoke and other harmful gases.
- A germicidal UV lamp to destroy microorganisms like bacteria, viruses, fungi and mold spores.
- A programmable sanitizer to neutralize unpleasant odors from pets, tobacco smoke, mustiness and cooking smells. This optional function does utilize ozone, but it is a programmable setting that you have to choose. Otherwise, the manufacturers report no detectable ozone output and this air purifier is certified safe in California.
- Lastly, the SurroundAir Multitech MT-8500 comes with a built-in ionizer. They list this ionic air purifier’s negative ion output at 12,000,000/cm3 (trillions per second), and because this unit circulates air in the room to clean it, these ions would be distributed more evenly than ionic machines without fans.
If you’re looking for a good all-in-one air purifier and ionizer without ozone (unless you choose it), with numerous proven air cleaning technologies at a much lower price than most of its competitors, the SurroundAir MT-8500 is a great choice.
It does use a bit more energy than smaller ionizers due to its extra functions and is listed at 50 watts of power consumption.
Also, keep in mind that you will eventually have to replace the HEPA filter and UV lamp to keep it running at its best. The manufacturer’s estimate this at $25 – $50 per year for replacement filters and UV lamps.
On the positive side, this is an effective air cleaning ionizer if you want to remove airborne allergens in 6 different and proven ways and circulate the air in your room while you do it.
Many reviewers comment on the cooler feel and much-improved air quality once they turn on the SurroundAir MT-8500 Intelligent air purifier.
Some also say it has reduced their respiratory problems, allowing them to breathe easier and helped with other health issues and illnesses.
I particularly like that you can program the ozone sanitizer for only when you choose, say in the aftermath of a heavy smoker or wet pets in the house.
The negative ion generation is also impressive, especially as the air is being circulated around any room the.
Combined with the HEPA filter, carbon filtration and germicidal UV lamp, the SurroundAir MT-8500 provides some serious air cleaning for your home or office.
There’s pictures and visual details of how this model works here on Amazon and the price is surprising given how much technology is packed into this air purification machine.